This is shaping up to be a major weekend to prep for Turkey Day 2013, but surely you can’t spend all your time cooped up inside making pies, right? Take a break and get out – here’s a few ideas for you.
- Dick Dale: The king of surf rock returns to Moe’s Alley tonight for a repeat performance. Last year’s show was a blast. Show starts at 8:30 p.m., tickets are $25.
- Fly Fishing Film Tour: I admit it never occurred to me that there would be such an audience for films about fly fishing, but apparently there are enough to warrant an entire tour. The films show tonight at 7 p.m. at the Rio Theater. Tickets are $18 at the door.
- Planet Cruz: The Planet Cruz comedy show returns to the Rio Saturday with a full slate of fun. The lineup includes Johnny Steele, Don McMillan, Clark Taylor, Brendan Lynch and Tammi Brown, amongst others.
- Slugs N’ Roses: Slugs n’ Roses are a Santa Cruz-based Grateful Dead tribute that plans to rock the house at Don Quixote’s Saturday. Tickets are $10 and the show starts at 8:30 p.m. Be prepared to dance your face off.
- It’s a Wonderful Life: Shakespeare Santa Cruz continues what’s likely to be its last ever performance this weekend with “It’s a Wonderful Life”: A live radio play. The show runs through Dec. 8.
- Turkey Trot: Santa Cruz Track Club hosts the annual Turkey Trot Saturday at 7 a.m., offering a 10K, 5K or 1K kids run along West Cliff. You can register the day of for $30.
- The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee: The Cabrillo Theater Arts Department is presenting this Tony Award-winning musical through Sunday, Nov. 24. Tickets are $19 with lower prices for seniors and students.
- Pump Boys and Dinettes: The Jewel Theater Company’s newest musical is described as a “country-fun slice of life.” The musical about “four good ol’ boys who work at a gas station and two outgoing waitresses from the neighboring Double Cupp Diner, located somewhere between Frog Level and Smyrna, North Carolina” was expected to have a revival on Broadway this year but that’s been postponed. Luckily for us, we can go see this show in our own backyard at Center Stage theater in Santa Cruz. Tickets are $31. The show runs through Nov. 24.
- Santa Cruz Warriors: Tonight is opening night for the Santa Cruz Warriors’ 2013-2014 season. Catch them in action at the Kaiser Permanente arena tonight or again on Sunday.
Pop-Up Museum: The Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History continues their pop-up museum series with “Watsonville is in the Heart” from noon to 2 p.m at the Watsonville Library, 275 Main St. This Pop Up Museum will celebrate the history of agriculture in Santa Cruz County.
Our friends over at Hilltromper have a bunch of outdoorsy ideas for you this weekend too. Check ‘em out here.