There’s a bonus day this weekend!
So what’s happening ’round town, you ask? Here’s a sneak peek. There’s plenty more of course… let us know what we’ve missed!
- Art lecture: The Santa Cruz County Arts Commission’s 2013 Artist of the year, Panama-born Susana Arias, will be discussing her work Friday night at 7 p.m. at the Museum of Art and History. Attendees will also have the chance to contribute to a work-in-progress. On Saturday, Arias will lead four hands-on workshops at 12 p.m., 1 p.m., 2 p.m. and 3 p.m., at which participants will have the chance to make clay birds that will later become part of a community sculpture to be included in Arias’ exhibition at the museum from July 19-Sept. 22. Admission to the lecture and workshops is free, but it’s available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- Historic Photo Processes Forum: A group of photographers who use vintage printmaking processes hold monthly meetings with presentations by guest speakers and exhibits by forum participants. The meetings are open to the public, but a $5 fee is requested for adults, $3 for children, students and seniors. Attendance is free for Museum of Art and History members. This month’s meeting will be held at the museum on Saturday from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- March Against Monsanto: Saturday at 10 a.m., community members around the country will be marching against the Monsanto Corporation to protest genetically modified foods, among other things. Marchers will meet at the Town Clock in downtown Santa Cruz between 10 and 11 a.m. and then march to Ocean Street, down Soquel Avenue, down Front Street and back to the Town Clock.
- Santa Cruz Blues Fest: The Santa Cruz Blues Festival returns to Aptos Village Park Saturday and Sunday with performances by the Steve Miller Band, Jimmie Vaughan, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, Tedeschi Trucks Band and many more. There will also be plenty of food, wine and beer vendors. Tickets start at $65 per day.
- SpotLife performance: The Fun Institute presents a showcase of their latest SpotLife class. SpotLife is an eight-week long solo performance class, in which students are taken through idea generation, solo formats, improvisation and writing exercises to create a 10-minute solo performance piece. Eight students will present their pieces from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Broadway Playhouse, 526 Broadway, Santa Cruz. A $10 donation is requested.
- Santa Cruz Improv Festival: The improv festival continues this weekend with performances Friday by Monterey’s Mirth o Matics and on Saturday by the Fosse Posse. Both shows start at 8 p.m. and will be held at the Broadway Playhouse, 526 Broadway in Santa Cruz. Tickets are $15 and are available at the door or online.
- Memorial Day ceremony: The Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History joins local military and veterans organizations for the 146th annual Memorial Day remembrance ceremony at Evergreen Cemetery near Harvey West Park on Monday at 11 a.m. There will be musical and spoken tributes and a keynote address by retired chief deputy Donald Bradley of the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office. A luncheon ($5 per person) will follow at the Portuguese Hall, hosted by the United Veteran’s Council of Santa Cruz County, Veteran of Foreign Wars Post 7263, American Legion Post 64, and Veteran of Foreign Wars Post 10110.